10/03/2026

A Week or Two in Review - Sunday Salon


The Sunday Salon, hosted by Deb Nance of Readerbuzz  is where we are given the opportunity of sharing what we've been up to and engaging with others to that end.  

What this amounts to, for me anyway, is food, books and garden!  Not necessarily in that order.  And, occasionally my blog, for which this post is a partial remedy.  I have been derelict in that life department of late.  Throw in some favorite photos!  And, they might all get mixed up in no particular order.


Down the slide and into the pool, with exuberance, goes Naomi!  Favorite photos department.

This version of Pancotto, Parmesan-Garlic Crisped Bread with Spicy Greens, could be categorized under both Food and Cookbook review.  From Milk Street Shorts by Christopher Kimball.  Many of his interpretations are fairly easy to prepare, some I would't call Short, still good and inspiring,   With this recipe I did substitute our own garden greens for the heads of escarole, and it turned out quite delicious.  After renewing the book several times from the library, it's usually a sign I should actually buy it!


Another from his Cookbook is due to be made tonight!  A Zucchini Carbonara, for which Kimball says "Would Italians really substitute zucchini for guanciale in carbonara?  Yes! And it's delicious!"  However, I will be adding Prosciutto!  And substituting my preserved salted lemon for the grated lemon zest in Kimball's recipe  Too many recipes call for lemon zest and I like to give my salted lemons more opportunities to shine. They just assume you don't have any.  Luckily I look upon recipes more as inspiration!  But for that you need a recipe.

Would you believe I have an 850 page Great Italian Cooking cookbook (circa 1968) and Gourmet Today's 1007 pages, neither of which has a recipe for Carbonara?! That's why we have the internet folks!!  Where this is going is a revision here.  Because inquiring minds want to know!  I discovered that the true history of Carbonara turns out to be  much more recent than is generally thought.  


Herb of the day: Za'atar!  I was lucky enough to find some at the Farmer's Market and grabbed it quick.  Here is a quote from Yotam Ottolenghi (Culinary inspiration of the century) on the subject, from his book Jerusalem: "If there is one smell to match the emblematic image of the Old City of Jerusalem, one odor that encapsulates the soul of this ancient city nestling in the Judean Mountains, it is za'atar....sharp, warm and slightly pungent.  For us it conjures the most visceral memories of a warm day on the hills."  

I am so looking forward to using it in my cooking, for which he has a number of suggestions.  Also to have the blessing of successfully propagating the herb.  Presently trying to root it in water and in some small pots.

Fruit of the day:  Tamarillo, or Tree Tomato 


I love this one!  When you see a fruit similar in size to a small tomato but with orange flesh and lots of seeds, you've happened upon a tamarillo. Because the fruits closely resemble a tomato, it's also referred to as a tree tomato plant (Solanum betaceum).  The seeds are like passionfruit, edible and unnoticeable when eaten.

BOOKS



On the Blog:  A Review of Mrs. Quinn's Rise to Fame: https://honeyfromrock.blogspot.com/2026/09/mrs-quinn-and-memories-of-pie.html.  A thoroughly enjoyable and absorbing novel.



The Other Bennet Sister
, by Janice Hadlow.  Totally depressing through too much of the book, though it does end well.


The Case of the Missing Madonna,
by Lin Anderson.  A great detective mystery with fascinating history and lush descriptions of the French Riviera.


Whistler
, by Ann Patchett.  Touching and emotional, a beautiful and profound family drama.  I loved it.




The Lost Man of Bombay, by a favorite author, Vaseem Khan, third in his series featuring Persis Wadia, India''s first woman detective Police Inspector in Post Independence 1950 Bombay.  Intriguing and well written.

Well, that's all for now folks.  I hope and pray that everyone is having a safe and enjoyable weekend!

10 comments:

Olivia Beck said...

2 large cookbooks with no carbonara recipes??? 🤦‍♀️ LOL! I live across the Adriatic in Albania and carbonara is a staple in most Italian restaurants here. That herb looks good, but I’m not familiar with it. I will be looking at the Vaseem Khan series.

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

Whistler was a mood-booster for me, I think. I'm sorry to hear that The Other Bennet Sister was depressing; I'd added that to my wishlist, but I think I shall bail on that. Love the photo of Naomi going down the slide!

Idea-ist @ GetLostinLit said...

I'm glad you loved the whistler, it seems to be very popular right now, even though it doesn't sound like my cup of tea.

BonnieReadsAndWrites said...

The Pancotto looks delicious! I haven't heard of it, but I'd love to try it! Here's my SP/SS: https://bonniereadsandwrites.com/2026/10/04/sunday-post-and-sunday-salon-all-the-fun-of-fall/

Aj @ Read All The Things! said...

I love the slide photo. She looks so happy!

Claudia said...

Thanks Bonnie! I'd love your recipe for Sauerkraut! I was unable to comment on your post, due to cookies? I'm not too much of a computer whizz, so don't know how or have time to fix that! The Fiona Davis The Jewel of Sugar Hill must not be released yet, it's not in our library. I did reserve her book, The Stolen Queen, which looks very intriguing!

Joy's Book Blog said...

I'm looking forward to Whistler. I liked the TV adaptation of The Other Bennet Sister. Mary is played by a comedic actress, so even the downer parts have an undercurrent of humor.

Kristin (Book Sniffers Anonymous) said...

I've never heard of za'atar. Is it like sage (going based on the look of the leaves).

I borrowed a cookbook from a library and made a local Okinawan dish, and it was almost as good as what I would get at a restaurant. I had to return the book, never wrote down the recipe, and pulled a recipe from online... and it was just barely edible. So, I'm going to need to borrow that cookbook again.

Claudia said...

Kristin, the herb, za'atar is a little like sage, though, as Yotam says, it's in the aromatic space of herbs like oregano, marjoram, sage or thyme, but with unique characteristics of its own - sharp, warm and slightly pungent. I had the zaatar spice blend in my cupboard, and use it occasionally. But it's one herb I definitely want in my garden.

Yvonne said...

These books all look good. I'll have to look for them.