10/09/2008

More Guavas Than You Could Shake a Stick at


Guavas on my mind. They're everywhere in abundance this year in Hawaii, and I'm trying to utilize as many as possible, thereby avoiding the guilt of having tons go to waste on the ground. So far have made: jam, wine, catsup, BBQ sauce, cakes (2 kinds, attempting to find the perfect recipe). And in the process of which I discovered some great cooking blogs. One being Sonia Tastes Hawaii, and another, Evil Jungle Prince. He had a tempting-looking recipe for Guava Cobbler with Coconut Crust, that I really need to try. In fact it will be Sunday.

Tonight though, we're (in the Royal sense) doing a version of candied yams (in order to get it down before Thanksgiving). Yes, Guava Candied Yams, which I will be improvising, based loosely upon Camotitos Potosinos (Sweet Potatoes and Guavas in Syrup) from the Texas Monthly site. To use them for Thanksgiving I'll have to freeze some I suppose.


The yams and guavas simmering in a brown sugar syrup

Guava Candied Yams
1 cup brown sugar
1 teas. cinnamon
2 allspice leaves (or powdered 1/2 teas.)
1/2 teas. cloves
2 lbs. yams, rinsed, peeled and cut into 2-3 in. pieces
1 lb. fresh guavas, cut in quarters, seeds scooped out (this would work also with figs or apples)
juice of 1 orange or passion fruit (I used the passion fruit) & 1 tab. orange or lemon peel (without pith)

Place the brown sugar, juice and 1 cup water in a 2-quart pan with lid, and bring to a boil. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally til the sugar is dissolved.

Add the spices & peel. Bring to a boil, then lower heat to simmer, covered 10 min.

Add the yams, and turn them a few times to coat. Continue simmering, covered for 20 min.

Stir in the guavas and simmer an additional 20 min. (uncover the last 10 min. - though, next time I may try raising the heat and going for more of a caramelized effect by quickly reducing down the syrup) Note: If using canned guava, just heat through on low heat, uncovered, for 10 min.

I served this with some leg of lamb and a small salad of cucumbers and arugula in a yogurt dressing. It was quite good if I do say so.

2 comments:

Sunny said...

Oh the yams look good.The cobbler was the best!I am going to make some for breakfast tomorrow.

Claudia said...

I agree, that cobbler is fantastic. I've made it twice now in as many days. Can't believe I've been here as long as I have without making any.