5/25/2010

Beets With Garlic-Walnut Sauce


I love the idea here, of a Beet Salad, in which the more usual feta is replaced with garlic and walnuts.  "Give the goats a break."  Bittman is so funny. So, this is his Beet Salad with Garlic-Walnut Sauce.  A winning combination, from the Minimalist Series, (A Divorce for Beets and Goat Cheese) on the NY Times website.

You begin with oven roasting beets in foil. Since I received a few little beets in shades of red-orange and burgundy from my CSA,  this was a natural do do for I Heart Cooking Clubs with the garlic and Vampire theme this week. They were just enough for salad for the two of us.

 Beets With Garlic-Walnut Sauce

From the NY Times article by Mark Bittman

2 pounds red beets, about 4 large (adjust according to what you have - mine were little ones), trimmed of greens
1/4 cup olive oil
6 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 cup walnuts
2 tablespoons to 1/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice, I added some lemon juice for zip
Salt and black pepper to taste
1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves, for garnish or lemon basil, and  arrange on lettuce leaves
This amount serves 4.

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Wash beets well. While still wet, wrap them in foil and place on a cookie sheet or roasting pan. Bake beets, undisturbed, for 60 to 90 minutes, until a thin-bladed knife pierces each with little resistance. (They may cook at different rates; remove each one when it is done. Mine were so small they only took 30 min.)

2. Meanwhile, put oil in a skillet over medium-low heat. When it is warm, add garlic and cook until fragrant and beginning to soften, about 6 minutes. Add walnuts and continue to cook until they begin to color, about another 4 minutes. Let mixture cool slightly and then put it in a small food processor; process until you have a relatively smooth paste. Add orange juice to taste and sprinkle with salt and lots of pepper. I thought it needed a bit more acidic tang, and added juice of about 1/2 lemon..
These baby beets are Bulls Blood and Chioggia (which are striped inside) and so pretty.

3. After beets have cooled, peel off skins. Slice beets into wedges or cubes and toss with dressing. Taste and adjust seasoning, garnish with parsley and serve.  Or, you can do more than a touch of green, as I did, and arrange your beets on a bed of lettuce leaves, with a bit of lemon basil. What an amazing assemblage of tastes, with the mild flavor of toasted garlic, earthy walnuts, and a citrusy zing of orange and lemon juice.  Who needs feta?

Check out all the Garlic Themed recipes which will be coming in this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs.

7 comments:

Kim said...

A fabulous recipe for Garlic Breath and warding off the vampires - LOL! Love the play with the red beets and the garlic. A very cute and well thought out recipe for this week's theme that looks delicious. Nicely done!!

Tina said...

I was just saying to my hubby that we canb';t go wrong with a garlic theme this week. Nice pairing...beets and garlic. I enjoyed your post.

Deb in Hawaii said...

This looks wonderful! I am jealous--you get fun beets in your CSA--mine are just the boring red ones! ;-)
A great pick--I want to try this one.

Shelby said...

I have always loved beets. Great way to try a different way of eating them!

Joanne said...

I really like the sound of this garlic-walnut sauce! Perfect thing to complement the sweet beets!

Anonymous said...

Love the beautiful color on the beets...good selection for Garlic Breath.

Elizabeth said...

Please excuse me for commenting so late... these beets, of course, look wonderful. I often have beets with pecans AND goat's cheese - I figure I'm doing the goats a favour. Or something.

But now I really should try this combination.

(I just searched your posts, hoping that because you have a crumpet recipe, you might also have posted a beet pickle recipe. Alas no luck. Do you have one?)