4/30/2013

Peanut Butter Cream Scones

Sometimes my cooking adventures turn out to be an object lesson.  To me at least.  A few weeks ago I had the urge to make some peanut butter scones, because they would go so well with jelly, of course.  And, after searching for a recipe, settled on one that sounded pretty yummy.  With oats and chocolate chips, buttermilk, etc.  There were a lot of things I don't usually add to scones.  They inspired me to make even more changes.  Result: not the best.  Crumbly, fiddly to make.

So, this morning I decided to go back to my usual cream scone recipe, and just sub out peanut butter for the butter.  Cut it in as though we were cutting in butter, add the cream, and pat it out.  Yea!  A keeper.  And, because I'm so nice, I'm sharing with you.  And, don't you know, they are totally low calorie?  :)



Anyway, who wants a bunch of other stuff in your peanut butter scone?  I want to taste PEANUT BUTTER.  Then, sitting at the table, you can add anything extra, as the whim hits you.  Nuttela, jam, jelly, honey, butter, etc., and it won't conflict with what is already there.  Makes sense to me.  The lesson being, keep it simple s.....:)

Peanut Butter Cream Scones
   Adapted from Alice Waters, The Art of Simple Food

Makes 8 scones

Preheat oven to 400F

Measure and mix together in a large bowl:
       2 cups unbleached flour (use part whole wheat and spelt if you like)
       2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
       1/2 teaspoon salt
       1/4 cup sugar

Cut in 1/2 cup crunchy peanut butter (or add 2 tablespoons chopped peanuts to smooth) until in little bits (smaller than pea size).
Stir in 1 1/3 cups cream with a fork until it is holding together.  Turn out onto floured surface and knead briefly, just enough to bring the dough completely together.  Pat into an 8 inch circle. 



Cut into 8 wedges and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or a silicone liner.  Bake for 17 minutes or until golden brown.


I think you will like these.  A lot.  And bake them again and again.  But the only way to tell is if you do it.  Just do it.

1 comment:

Joanne said...

I love how you just went back to the basics for these! Sometimes it's so easy to get caught up in all the frills but all you really need is a simple delicious treat!