6/20/2017

Goldy's Potatoes au Gratin


 Over the last few years I have enjoyed reading Diane Mott Davidson's fun culinary mysteries, starring her intrepid, nosy heroine, Goldy, who now has her own cookbook, Goldy's Kitchen Cookbook, Cooking, Writing, Family, Life.  If you've read any of the series you will know there are some terrific recipes included with each book, and they are all here, plus a few.  I especially loved hearing Ms. Davidson's background on the various books, origins of plots and characters, how she got started, and accomplishes her writing.  She is an inspiring as well as an entertaining writer.
 From the Publishers:

 "The beloved New York Times bestselling culinary mystery writer delivers a cookbook packed with more than 160 mouthwatering recipes and charming anecdotes about her writing and cooking life.
Diane Mott Davidson is the author of seventeen bestselling mysteries featuring caterer/sleuth Goldy Schulz, a woman who 'took the lemon that life had given her and made not just lemonade but Lemon Chicken, Lemon Bars, Lemon Cookies and Lemon Meringue Pie.'



Part memoir, part writing manual, part cookbook, Goldy’s Kitchen Cookbook combines the author’s gift for storytelling with her skills in the kitchen. She introduces the recipes with stories about how she came to create them, anecdotes from her experiences as a writer and home cook, and includes her joy at receiving a fan letter from the legendary French Chef herself, Julia Child."

For food inspiration, there was only the problem of where to begin.  I want to cook my way right through this book.   Her husband's favorite potato dish was what I settled on.  After all, Sunday was Father's day, followed by Bob's birthday on Tuesday.  So it was Goldy's Prudent Potatoes au Gratin, from her novel, Sweet Revenge.  What is not to love about this dish??  It contains, besides the potatoes, caramelized onions, three kinds of cheese, fresh sage and heavy cream. Oh boy!  And it was indeed the best, with over-the-top flavor.  Pure comfort food. We will be having it again.  Soon.

Do you need a warning here?   This is not a low-fat recipe.  However, we paired it with a nice crisp salad. Very balanced eating, with some birthday cake for after.  All to be shared over at the June Foodie Read Challenge, and with Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking event.  You can share your own there and catch up on good reads and cooking ideas.

8 comments:

Beth F said...

I love those books! I'm a few years behind in the series, but I still think fondly of Goldy. I didn't know there was a cookbook. I would love to read and cook and from it. I hope my library has a copy.

Mae Travels said...

Interesting that you served the potatoes as a main dish, not a side dish. I guess that works with all the cheese!

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Claudia said...

Yes a vegetarian entree, working in more meatless meals.

Vicki said...

I didn't know about this book so thanks for posting about it! I checked and my library has it so I put it on hold.

The Candid Cover said...

I haven't read a book like this before and it is a very intriguing concept! Those potatoes look really yummy as well. :)

Tina said...

I haven't read those books but they sound appealing. I like your dish, and it's vegetarian so we will try it. HIgh fat or not, looks delicious.

Debra Eliotseats said...

What I great comforting dish! Book sounds interesting, Claudia.

Judee@gluten Free A-Z Blog said...

Since I love biographies and cooking, this book would be right up my ally. I love your review and I'm ready to read!!