3/16/2018

Lavender Scones In The Apple Orchard

I've just finished another terrific Susan Wiggs novel, The Apple Orchard.  It is like many of her books, setting permeated throughout.  And, happily for me, recipes sprinkled here and there as well.

Tess Delaney, in this book is  is a driven, ambitious, and stressed out provenance authenticator for a major auction house.  She loves her job, travels frequently and has no personal or home life to speak of.  Tess gets some dramatic news while dashing to a meeting, and basically flips out with a full-blown nervous breakdown.  From the Publisher:

"Tess Delaney loves illuminating history; returning stolen treasures to their rightful owners and filling the spaces in people's hearts with stories of their family legacies. But Tess's own history is filled with gaps: a father she never met, and a mother who spent more time traveling than with her daughter.  
Then the enigmatic Dominic Rossi arrives on her San Francisco doorstep with the news that the grandfather she's never met is in a coma and that she's destined to inherit half of a hundred-acre apple orchard estate called Bella Vista. The rest is willed to Isabel Johansen, the half sister she never knew she had. Isabel is everything Tess isn't, but against the rich landscape of Bella Vista, with Isabel and Dominic by her side, Tess begins to discover a world where family comes first and the roots of history run deep."
A lovely book with nuance and meaning, plus family reconciliation and love.  Highly recommended.



As I mentioned, recipes are scattered here and there, as it turns out Tess's half sister is an accomplished cook, which is how she deals with stress.  I suppose it's better to cook than just eat when under stress.

I loved the sound of her Danish Apple Pie with Caramel Apple Topping, the Grape and Rosemary Focaccia and a Salmon Fisherman's Pie (Tweed Kettle Pie) which I almost decided to make for St. Pat's.  But, instead the Lavender Scones were calling my name.  Often I will buy ingredients, intending them for a particular recipe, then they languish.  Thus, the lavender buds.  I also have some rose petals and rose water meant for an Ottolenghi recipe which need to be used.


This is an excellent recipe for when I'm out of cream, which my usual go-to scones recipe from Alice Waters  calls for.  This one has buttermilk (or in my case kefir) and some oats to go with the lavender.  They turned out moist and flavorful.  I'll share all the goodness over at Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking event and at the March Foodies Read Challenge.  Check out both for some great food and books.

8 comments:

Beth F said...

The lavender scones sound lovely -- I used to grow lavendar in my garden, until my yard got too shady from growing trees. I keep meaning to read Wiggs.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I have lots of lavender at my CSA farm and love to find lots of recipes to use it..
This sounds wonderful

Esme said...

Lavender scones sound so good. You now need to enjoy your scones in a lavender field in France.

Claudia said...

That sounds lovely Esme. My lavender "farm" is a nice big pot in my herbs under cover section.

Linda aka Crafty Gardener said...

sounds delicious

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I recently read Susan Wiggs' The Family Tree and so enjoyed it. I'll have to give this one a try too. (And Lavender Scones sound so tasty!)

Tina said...

Ooo, the salmon fisherman's pie would call to me but I'd love those Lavender Scones too. Thanks for the nice comment about my enchiladas. Love assembly line food. Your pork, onion and cheese dish sounds very yummy too.

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I haven't read this author yet but you make me want to get one and curl up for a good read.