10/28/2020

Homegrown Truffles for A Paris Tea Shop


My book of the week is Vanessa Yu's Magical Paris Tea Shop, by Roselle Lim.  After reading her debut novel, Natalie Tan's Book of Luck & Fortune, which I very much enjoyed, her sequel was next on my list.  As in her earlier book there are sprinklings of clairvoyance, coming to terms with who we are and what we can be, romance and of course, lots of really good food.  Heck,  she goes to Paris, so of course!   Not too deep, but not shallow either.

Vanessa has had the gift, some call it second sight, since she was a child, but is definitely looking that horse in the mouth.  Doesn't want it, can't seem to be rid of it and at the same time is being hounded by her well-meaning family to marry, and get on with her life.  Unfortunately that idea has been  held up by the inconvenient truths she blurts out on dates, which sends them running.

From the Publishers: 

"Vanessa Yu never wanted to see people's fortunes—or misfortunes—in tealeaves.

Ever since she can remember, Vanessa has been able to see people's fortunes at the bottom of their teacups. To avoid blurting out their fortunes, she converts to coffee, but somehow fortunes escape and find a way to complicate her life and the ones of those around her. To add to this plight, her romance life is so nonexistent that her parents enlist the services of a matchmaking expert from Shanghai.

After her matchmaking appointment, Vanessa sees death for the first time. She decides that she can't truly live until she can find a way to get rid of her uncanny abilities. When her eccentric Aunt Evelyn shows up with a tempting offer to whisk her away, Vanessa says au revoir to California and bonjour to Paris. There, Vanessa learns more about herself and the root of her gifts and realizes one thing to be true: knowing one's destiny isn't a curse, but being unable to change it is."


I thought a nice batch of truffles would be a fine accompaniment to the beverages at Aunt Evelyn's new Tea Shop, Promesse de The. Plus, I found out it's National Chocolate Day!  This recipe is a simpler way of using my cacao nibs than the long and involved process of making finished chocolate.  See this post for that step by step illustration. I still haven't bought myself a moulanger, and have been using my nephew's. But for this, no need.  

My Truffles

2 1/2 cups roasted cacao nibs, ground fine (liquefied in my Sumeet Grinder)
1 tablespoon lecithin (added at the end of the cacao grinding - optional)
1/2 cup toasted almonds, roughly chopped
1 cup dates or figs, seeded, chopped (I used 1/2 cup dried pineapple for this batch)
1./2 cup honey or agave nectar, add more if you like things sweeter
1/3 cup peanut butter (or almond, cashew, etc.)
1/4 teas. almond extract


Mix all well and then form into balls on parchment paper.  Chill until firm, then wrap in cling wrap. Enjoy! So, now I won't have to purchase chocolate bars for awhile.  My fix is waiting.  No special excuse is needed, they're good any time of the day.  I brought one in for my granddaughter and she had it for breakfast.  Well, she did have a smoothie too. Personally, I like mine with a glass of wine. A good book on the side.


This post will go over to Weekend Cooking, hosted by Marge the Intrepid Reader, and to Heather for her October Foodies Read Challenge. Be sure to stop by for a visit at these sites for some good food and book recommendations.

5 comments:

Mae Travels said...

The truffles sound good, but I’m not familiar with lecethin, is it some kind of additive?

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Claudia said...

Me, I had it in an old recipe, since modified, and looked it up. Liquid lecithin is a fat derived from soybeans, sunflowers also canola, etc. and used for smoothing food textures, emulsifying, homogenizing liquid mixtures, and repelling sticking materials.

rhapsodyinbooks said...

These look wonderful, and sound so easy. Definitely what is needed these days!!!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Beautiful truffles. I find the cocoa nibs are not sweet enough fo me. But I'll give this a try. thanks.

Deb in Hawaii said...

The book sounds fun and I haven't made truffles in ages so I would like one for breakfast and/or with a glass of wine tonight too! ;-)