5/09/2023

Chianti and Cannelloni


Another new series!  And, I love when it's a good one.  This novel involves a former NY Homicide detective who retires to Italy, and of course, gets involved in solving a homicide!  Who would have guessed?  But there are enticing mentions of delicious local food and wine, with a fine development of characters and plot.  More here from the Publisher's Weekly: 

"At the start of this vibrant mystery from Trinchieri (The Breakfast Club Murder as Camilla T. Crespi), retired Bronx policeman Nico Doyle is having breakfast one morning at the run-down farmhouse he has rented near the town of Gravigna, Italy, his late wife's hometown where he's recently settled, when he hears a gunshot in the hills. When Nico investigates, he comes across the body of a man whose face has been obliterated by a shotgun blast. The victim's Michael Johnson running shoes suggest he's an American. Salvatore Perillo, the carabinieri officer who takes charge of the case, says on learning Nico was once a homicide detective: "I've dealt with only a single murder in my career. Holy heaven, New Yorkers must have murders every day." Nico agrees to assist Perillo, despite his dislike of working homicides. 

Enticing descriptions of food and wines, an introspective protagonist with an unusual background, and an intricate plot that weaves its way amid past peccadillos combine to make this a winner. Readers will eagerly await Trinchieri's next."   



Unfortunately, there are so far only two books after this one in the series.  However she has also written under her nom de plume,  Camilla T. Crespi.  So there is that.  

I was going through another library book, One, Jamie Oliver's latest, for which I had been on quite a long wait list.  I made a dish from his cookbook to go with this post, which he calls Crazy-Paving Cannelloni.  Was quite yummy, and we both liked it a lot.  Plus, crazy easy!  But,  a reminder, I really, really need to get out that unused pasta machine and experiment! 


You could also use lasagna pieces in this or larger tubes than I was able to find (organic always limits one in that department). Fortuitously, I had my own version of the "jarred roasted eggplant" - a jarred Eggplant Caviar, recently made.  A meal highly recommended, combined with a nice side salad and glass of Chianti!   Sadly, the other recipes I tried in Jamie's book were not so successful or well received.  Sorry Jamie.







I'll be linking this up to the May Foodies Read Challenge, hosted by Heather and to Weekend Cooking, with the Intrepid Reader and Baker, Marge.  I hope you'll stop by and check out some good books and food.
Now off to inspect my garden, things to plant and produce to pick.  Cheers!

4 comments:

Tina said...

Thyat sounds great - both the series and the meal you prepared! I love a good series.

Debra Eliotseats said...

I want to try that recipe soon!!!! So glad you featured it with this review!

Mae Travels said...

Americans in exotic European villages… I wonder how many there really are who end up solving mysteries or becoming shop keepers. Both happen over and over in fiction. Just because the idea is so often used, doesn’t mean it’s not a good read. In fact it suggests that readers really go for it1

Nice-looking pasta! Too bad the cookbook was not consistent in pleasing you and your family.

best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I enjoyed this series as well. Love the recipe you chose.