4/09/2011

Zucchini Crudo and Blowdrying Chickens

Zucchini and summer squash in this form, thanks to Michael Symon, are a revelation.  A whole new vegetable, almost.  They tenderize and soak up herbal flavors beautifully. So simple, making for a fabulous salad, especially now that we are looking forward to hot weather, and the season of abundant squash.


Get out your mandolin, a few veggies, lemon, dill, some garlic, and you're off.


Zucchini Crudo
Adapted from the recipe by Michael Symon

Serves 2-3
1 zucchini, thinly sliced
1 yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
1 1/4 tablespoons kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
1/4 red onion, thinly sliced
1 1/2 lemons, zest and juice (or to taste)
1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 tablespoons slivered or sliced almonds, toasted
2 tablespoons chopped fresh dill

Combine the zucchini, squash and onion in a colander in the sink and sprinkle 1 tablespoon of the salt over it.
Toss to coat, and leave for 10 to 15 minutes, no longer.

In a medium bowl, combine the garlic, remaining salt, and lemon zest and juice.  Whisk in the olive oil in a steady stream, then the almonds and dill. Taste for seasoning and acidity.

Add your vegetables to the dressing, toss and serve immediately.  I didn't have the almonds, but think they would add a nice contrasting crunch of texture.  An outstanding side. The fresh dill from my garden was wonderful in here, so I'm linking to Week-end Herb Blogging, hosted this week by my foodie blogger friend Rachael, The Crispy Cook

Apropos of nothing, except nonsensical humor, or maybe that chicken manure is good to put in your bed of squash.  Anyway, I couldn't resist these photos.    My dear granddaughter was going to take her pet Silkie Chicken to show a friend, and decided  it needed a shampoo.  Since we were having a very rainy day, Rosy was not drying off fast enough.  But she enjoyed the blow-drying session.

Just stood on the bathroom counter, soaking up the lovely warmth, being carefully attended to by her beautician. Ha.

8 comments:

Joanne said...

I LOVE this recipe. I made it last summer and truly could have eaten it every day and not gotten bored!

Rachel said...

Two cute little birds in one photo, just adorable! I never knew chickens enjoyed the spa treatment.

Thanks for sending over the tasty zucchini crudo over to Weekend Herb Blogging this week.

Katerina said...

I loved your zucchinis Claudia but most of all I loved the photos of the chicken and your granddaughter playing the hairdresser! It was very funny indeed lol!

Swathi said...

Zucchini curdo looks delicious. I love that chicken is getting a blow drying section that to be a cute princess.

Kirsten Lindquist said...

I remember Joanne's version and never tried it. Now I know I have to! Love the blown dry chicken too! thanks for sharing!

Rachel said...

Thanks again for a lovely entry to WHB this week. The roundup post is now live.

Cassie said...

It's about that time of year where I have squash and zucchini with every meal, so I am always looking for new ways to enjoy them!

Simona said...

Not quite zucchini season yet here. However, I have seen signs that I will have dill again this year, thanks to seeds fallen on favorable terrain. This is a nice recipe for a summer salad, and I can see myself needing at least two servings. The chicken photos are really funny. I wonder what the chicken was thinking.