9/22/2016

Chilaquiles Verdes or Tortilla Casserole with Green Sauce



It's a real bonus when what you have, especially items that need to be used up, coincide with an easy, quick and delicious Mexican meal.  The IHCC theme this week was a Potluck with any of the past chefs, and Rick Bayless was my choice with his excellent book, Authentic Mexican.

I had just enough chicken, chicken broth, left-over tomatillo green sauce, the tortillas, and etc. etc.  Perfect.



You start by letting your tortillas sort of air dry.  We want them to be firm so that when simmered in the sauce they end up a bit like a coarse polenta. Mine were sprouted corn tortillas.



I used parsley for my husband and cilantro for myself instead of the epazote, which is unavailable here.  The dish was really good, and I would make it again for sure.  I served it with a nice, fresh green salad of cherry tomatoes, basil and lettuce.


Will be sharing this at Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking event, as well as at the IHCC (I Heart Cooking Clubs site for the Potluck.  Be sure to stop by and check out all the good food.

11 comments:

Beth F said...

I usually love Bayless's recipes and this looks like an other winner. I happen to have some leftover roasted chicken ... hummm. Maybe there's a tortilla casserole in my near future.

Mae Travels said...

I love your very retro Corningware oven dish! The small handles mark it as being from the 1960s or 1970s. And a Mexican casserole really appeals to me -- food for autumn that's coming a bit late this year.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Katherine P said...

This does look delicious! I've been wanting to try a tomatill0 sauce - or anything tomatillo related since I discovered one of the grocery stores here carries them. What fantastic timing! Using up all the leftover ingredients and getting an amazing sounding meal out of it!

Vicki said...

That looks so good!! btw: I still have a set of the Spice of Life by Corning Ware.

jama said...

Yum, I was just craving something Mexican . . . :)!

Carole said...

Love this! It would be great if you added it to Food on FRiday over at Carole's Chatter Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

Tina said...

I love it when the leftovers and pantry items allow you to prepare an entirely new meal. I am a fan of Mexican food but don't make it much, I'll have to rectify that soon. You have nice dishes too, by the way ☺️

Kim said...

Yes! I love when you can make something truly delicious like this with little bits of leftovers laying around. It is such a great feeling! I love chilaquiles (feel in love with them in Mexico) and have been wanting to make them ever since. This version looks delicious. I could eat it for breakfast, lunch, and dinner.

Unknown said...

What a great win-win situation! You get to clear leftovers in your fridge but yet have a yummy meal with that casserole :) It looks great btw!

kitchen flavours said...

A delicious way to use your leftovers! This looks delicious and sounds good served with the salad. Been a while since I last cook with Rick Bayless!

flour.ish.en said...

It's quick. It's one pot. You have all the ingredients on hand. This is a formula worthy of repeating day in and day out.