7/02/2020

A Blue Zones Kitchen in June

I was happy to finally arrive at the top of our library's list for The Blue Zones Kitchen, by Dan Buettner, having been curious as to what that sort of cooking would involve.  The recipes presented, from each zone are all very simple and easily prepared.  No fancy cooking involved here.  A back to the elemental basics, plain food.  So far, I've made three of the recipes, was quite happy with them all, and am looking forward to trying a few more before the book goes back.  A summary from the Publishers:

"Building on decades of research, longevity expert Dan Buettner has gathered 100 recipes inspired by the Blue Zones, home to the healthiest and happiest communities in the world. Each dish-- uses ingredients and cooking methods proven to increase longevity, wellness, and mental health. Complemented by mouthwatering photography, the recipes also include lifestyle tips (including the best times to eat dinner and proper portion sizes), all gleaned from countries as far away as Japan and as near as Blue Zones project cities in Texas and Hawaii.. Innovative, easy to follow, and delicious, these healthy living recipes make the Blue Zones lifestyle even more attainable, thereby improving your health, extending your life, and filling your kitchen with happiness."

The recipes are divided between the five featured zones of Sardinia, Okinawa, Nicoya, Ikaria and Loma Linda.  As well, a new discovery for me - that "The Blue Zones Project was also launched in Hawaii in 2014...works in eight communities across three islands--Hawaii Island, Maui and Oahu." Further, that "Hawaii Island is the first county in the country to receive a Blue Zones designation." He added that, "Hawaii is currently ranked first in well-being and happiness compared with other states in the nation."  Maybe partly explains why we love it here.  Buettner also included one recipe for our island, Breadfruit (ulu) Poke, which I had tried previously at a Blue Zones restaurant here.


Another first for me was the idea that cooked greens are healthier than raw.  See, all along Bob has been on to something, not particularly liking salads. Ha.  Anyway I'm really loving the mixed, sauteed greens and herbs substitution.  As Buettner says, "Consuming cooked greens is one of the greatest predictors of longevity; we surveyed 670 people over the age of 60 and found that those most likely to survive the next 10 years were eating at least a quarter of a cup everyday.  Cooking greens, incidentally, breaks down cell walls in the plants to release nutrients."  

I did  the Sardinian recipe for Quick Greens and onions, adding as you'll observe above, garlic to the mix.  I've always enjoyed a mess of greens as a side, though usually one kind, sauteed, such as chard.  But what a super idea, going about the garden with a basket, foraging for various greens and any herbs that might be a good flavor addition.  Above you can see some Brazilian spinach, Okinawan spinach, (purple leaves) collard greens, fiddlehead fern and Vietnamese cilantro. Delicious! I was going to include dandelion greens, but forgot.  Next time.


Another dish we tried were the "Yuca Cakes", which I'm calling Pia Patties since pia is the Hawaiian name for that plant, sometimes called cassava, manioc, tapioca, etc.of many incarnations around the world.You basically boil the peeled, cut up tubers for 30 minutes or so (sweet potatoes can be substituted), til soft.  Then mash and add chopped mini sweet red peppers, culantro, salt and make into patties.  Fry til crispy, or you can bake at 350F for 15 min.


I paired them with sauteed sausages and onions, and a side of the mixed greens.  The sausage dish was not in the book, as he only included vegetarian recipes.

Later in the month I made the Greek, Ikarian version of Ratatouille, called Springtime Soufiko in the book. Very similar to my usual recipe, excepting only that they included butternut squash and green onions, rather than regular onion.  I love how the flavors of the vegetables meld together, enhanced with garlic, olive oil, and a bit of red wine.   Grated Parmesan cheese can be served on the side.  I had mine with polenta.  The left-overs, alongside fresh baked sourdough bread, as suggested in the book, were especially good.  We had some vegan friends over, and as a last breath to June, I made Coconut Banana Ice Cream.  Not in the book, but quite Blue Zone, and very nice indeed.


This post will be served up at Weekend Cooking, hosted by Marg the Intrepid, with the July edition of the Foodies Read Challenge, hosted by Heather, and with Sherry who hosts IMK (In My Kitchen).

15 comments:

Sherry's Pickings said...

i've always found ratatouille a bit hard to swallow :-) Not enough flavour, too limp - but perhaps your recipe is a good one? ooh that sounds a bit cheeky of me. thanks so much for joining in IMK this month. great to have you! that's so interesting about cooked greens. I am so not a fan of salad greens, so it's good to know eating them cooked is really good for you. take care
cheers
sherry

Claudia said...

It is a good one Sherry, and I should include it here. Full of flavor, with the garlic, olive oil, grated Parmesan, etc.

Mae Travels said...

I love how all around the Mediterranean there are new ways to combine the native plants and cultivars that are eveywhere except maybe in the Sahara Desert. So many ways to use those beautiful flavors! Like ratatouille.

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Tina said...

As soon as you said this goes back to basics, plain food, I was interested. Maybe my library has this book, need to check. My husband loves yucca, I just showed him your post, and greens too.
Nice cookbook!

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I'm not familiar with this cookbook, but I'm going to look into it. The Blue Zones have always fascinated me. Being a vegetarian, I didn' t know about cooked vs raw greens! Good tip - thanks

Carole said...

Looking for this one. Thanks

Deb Nance at Readerbuzz said...

I'm completely fascinated with longevity and happiness, so I am certainly planning to find this book as soon as possible and read it. Thank you for sharing your experiences with it.

Marg said...

I am waiting for this book to be available to pick up from the library, whenever that might be. Ratatouille is one of my favourites so I will be interested to see how the changes affect my enjoyment!

Tandy | Lavender and Lime (http://tandysinclair.com) said...

I did not know that cooked greens are healthier than raw! Thanks for sharing that :)

Liz said...

I am another one that didn't realize that greens are healthier cooked, probably easier to digest as well. Interesting post, thank you for bringing it to FF.

Camilla M. Mann said...

I have been cooking from this book for about a week, too. Love it!

Debra Eliotseats said...

I really liked the hummus and the granola recipe. In fact, the granola recipe is made almost every week here now. I thought it was a great book. Alas, I gave my preview copy to a friend.

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I'm going to have to order this up now that my library opened for curbside service.

Claudia said...

Wendy, our library has been doing that for the past month, as well as our natural foods store, which I'm going to give a try this week, as I welcome the opportunity not to have a mask on while shopping. I've decided though to have an attitude of solidarity with the employees, for those times it is necessary in stores.

Unknown said...

I am feeling much blessed to be here and reading your thought provoking blog. It has truly increased my knowledge. I will surely come again and again to overcome my thirst for knowledge. Flora Honey Suppliers in Lahore