1/31/2023

Meal for a Recovering Invalid and Her Sous Chef


We, at Cook the Books Club have been reading, and posting recipes and reviews of our latest selection, Miss Cecily's Recipes for Exceptional Ladies, by Vicky Zimmerman.  I for one was in complete sympathy with the grumpy old lady, Miss Cecily.  After a bad fall in early November, spending the last few months in recovery and not able to get around as before, sob, sob.  Garden going to H... ; house as well and any projects on hold for the duration.  Well, I'm back at my computer at least, which is also acting wonky.  And, at the absolute deadline for the book post.  On the plus side, Bob has been stalwart throughout, my chauffeur and really big help and companion, as well as a great sous chef for the relatively simple meals we put together. Our daughter as well, taking off work and traveling with me to Honolulu for the surgeries, then back at home, making us delicious dinners and helping out with everything!  Thanks so much!

From the Library Journal:

"As 39-year-old foodie Kate approaches the dreaded 4--0, her stable life starts to unravel. Her job may be on the chopping block, but even more upsetting is when her soon-to-be live-in boyfriend says he needs to "retreat." To get her mind off her troubles, she volunteers to give food demos at a retirement home for elderly women, where she meets cantankerous 97-year-old Cecily, who disdains Kate's choices and how she wastes precious time on her boring job and unsuitable boyfriend. As relations begin to thaw a little and Cecily tells Kate about her adventurous life, Kate starts to wonder if Cecily is right. This is a fast and fabulous third-person read about life, loneliness, love, and the power of good food and friends. Zimmerman keeps things realistic, including Kate's modern relationship troubles (e.g., ghosting and a noncommittal boyfriend who constantly lets her down), frustrated friends, and an irritating mother. But Cecily, a mentor Kate meets by chance, is the real star, with her jaw-dropping insults, fascinating life story, and brusque but well-meaning advice. "


There were so many delectable menu mentions, no end of inspiration for meals, aside from being an inspiring and darn good read.  One of the suggested suppers was "Recipes for the sick of Heart" - Slow-Roast Chicken with lemon and harissa with a dessert of warm chocolate-cookie pudding with cream.   I'm happy I took notes on the food, as I want to try more ideas from this book, and now have the Kindle version.  Our library had me in a #1 position for almost the duration, without coming through.  So finally I just ordered Kindle at the last moment.

Kate, for her newly inaugurated Supper Club offers two pastas, against all tradition: tagliarini with crab, followed by pappardelle with cream, pancetta and new season's asparagus.  With, Prosecco served for all.  As it turns out, the grocer didn't have enough asparagus, so she subbed in green peas. There you have it.
I was inspired to put a pasta dish together with the fresh green pea pods we had picked up from the market.  



I began by stemming the peas and bringing a pot of water to boil for the pasta and peas.  Then got the chopped bacon frying, adding in minced scallions and garlic, salt, lemon pepper and a few small, sweet red and yellow peppers, a chopped tomato and some black olives.  Next, about a 1/2 cup of cream, and a dash or two of catsup and Worcestershire combined for a sauce.  The peas were only in with the boiling pasta for about 5 minutes, then drained and combined with everything else.

Nothing too fussy, but I think in sync with the book.  Especially with a nice glass of Prosecco.  Meal for a recovering invalid and her sous chef.  He's very good at chopping things and stirring!


Thus, my last minute, just under the wire, post for our group.  Be sure to tune in for the Roundup for this season's selection, hosted by Deb of Kahakai Kitchen, and coming within a few days. ( P.S. NOW UP!) I'll also be linking with Marge, who hosts Weekend Cooking and with Heather for her February Foodies Read Challenge.

11 comments:

Heather said...

The book sounds good. I love grumpy old ladies.

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your fall and I'm glad you are on the mend. This was a great book to tie into the theme of healing. My husband had to take on all the duties around here as well. We are lucky to have such great guys in our lives. Take good care of yourself Claudia.

Claudia said...

Thanks Wendy, we are indeed blessed. I'm getting a bit more done every day.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

It's amazing how many different ways one can prepare pasta. This looks really delicious! Wishing you a speedy recovery.

Tina said...

I am a fan of most pasta meals and I like your addition of the peas, peppers and olives. I hope you are on the mend after that nasty fall. Glad you have good support with a considerate husband.

Marg said...

I intended to read this selection but I didn't have time to cook for it. I have already started the next selection.

Deb in Hawaii said...

I am so sorry to hear about your fall, Claudia. Hope you are healing well.
Your pasta looks amazing. Thanks for joining in despite your injuries. <3

Camilla Mann said...

I am so glad you are recovering, Claudia! And the dish looks delicious. I can't wait to try a version soon.

Debra Eliotseats said...

Oh my, Claudia. Stay on that road to recovery and keep the sous chef on staff!

Simona Carini said...

Hurrah for your sous chef! Nice choice of recipe :)
I am sure your garden will be back on track once you are recovered, but I understand how frustrating it is to lose one's mobility and independence.

Delaware Girl Eats said...

I just love the look of your dish and am glad your hubbie has been able to help you during your recovery. Great recipe choice!