3/28/2023

Pulled Pork Pasties for The Kitchen Front

 

We at Cook the Books Club have been reading our current selection, The Kitchen Front, by Jennifer Ryan, hosted by myself this round.  I chose the book, based not only on positive reviews, but on reading it as well as others of her excellent works: The Wedding Dress Circle, The Spies of Shilling Lane and The Chilbury Ladies' Choir.  

Even though I've told myself I've already read too many novels  set in those War Years, (I or II), but then get sucked back in.  Both periods of history encompass so many absorbing stories, and amazingly, more coming out all the time.  This book is a good example of the never-ending variety, between points of view and characters, unusual plotting, etc. turning into a very interesting and enjoyable read.

From the Publishers:  It's the tale "of a BBC-sponsored wartime cooking competition and the four women who enter for a chance to better their lives.

Two years into World War II, Britain is feeling her losses: The Nazis have won battles, the Blitz has destroyed cities, and U-boats have cut off the supply of food. In an effort to help housewives with food rationing, a BBC radio program called The Kitchen Front is holding a cooking contest—and the grand prize is a job as the program’s first-ever female co-host. For four very different women, winning the competition would present a crucial chance to change their lives." And, yes that contest actually happened.

There was a variety of meals and food to get inspired by, and I took notes.  Among them, Berry Scones, Lord Woolton Pie, Cocquilles St. Jacques, Audrey's Mushroom Soup, Paolo's Chicken Cacciatore (yes, we even had a contribution from a Prisoner of War), and Audrey's' Cornish Pasties, (from page 305) which I chose to make for this round. 



You could even say I foraged my own pork to make them, and wild boar were definitely in season. Pigs have been ruining our gardens lately. They manage to find ways under fences, or just pop on in if the gate gets left open at night. We do have a trap, though a bugger to move as it's very heavy. We've used it successfully in the past, and with a bit of oversight (i.e. leaving out the right sort of chum) it works well. So, we went with that scheme. For their last meal the piggies had avocados, papaya and sweet potatoes, which Bob had picked up from the discards at our Natural Foods Grocery.

Luckily, my grandson was up to dealing with the results (a euphemism for saying kill and butcher), as well as sharing out the meat.  With us and some friends.  Now, that the just installed electric fencing is working, this probably won't be necessary in future.  Anyhow, I made Pork Adobo first, several nights ago and am planning more meals with what's remaining in the freezer.  Included were these Cornish Pasties for my Cook the Books post.  Some call them empanadas, some meat pies or calzones and here pasties.  Good by any name.


The pulled pork came out beautifully in the pressure cooker, and I just sautéed some chopped onion, mushrooms, and red bell pepper, added a few chopped herbs, and sautéed a bit more before throwing in the meat, though I know the recipe says boil the veggies, this was easier and I think more flavorful.

For the pastry, her recipe didn't say how much iced water, so I just kept adding until it was a cohesive dough, and it came together pretty well.  Though putting the amount of water in at the start is better, so the  pastry gets worked less.


Also, making more and smaller would have been good, for us anyway, with some to freeze.  They were pretty big and we ended up splitting one, perfect though with a side of fresh asparagus.

I must say, delicious!  And there we have my contribution for our current selection, a bit last minute as the deadline is Friday!  Please do join us for the roundup, coming this Saturday, hopefully if I get everything together, at Cook the Books!  See you there.  I'll be sharing the link also with Marge, the Intrepid Reader and Baker for this coming Weekend Cooking, and with Heather at her Foodies Read Challenge.





4 comments:

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

I love Pasties and when your freezer gets empty I would be tempted to leave that electric fence off so I could fill it again. This entire meal is perfect for the book.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

Your pastries came out great! I'm sure they were delisicous ! Such a nice treat from the book..

Delaware Girl Eats said...

I'm intrigued by the idea of pasties but never have tried to make any. Guess it's about time. Looks like a great recipe

Simona Carini said...

Great choice of recipe and great job making it! I like the way your pasties look :)