9/05/2011

Guava Butter recipe


The guavas are coming in.  There were just enough yesterday for a nice batch of butter or jam.  I usually make jam with my fruit as it's easier than jelly, and anyway why waste the pulp part of the fruit.  Seeds, okay I draw the line there.  No one in their right mind wants guava seeds in jam, or anything else for that matter.  They are very hard, and not small enough to just swallow without noticing.

I filled two 4 cup measures, but on a digital scale, for the correct amount of sugar to add.  The fruit went in as I peeled off bad parts, halved, then scooped out the seeds, and cut into chunks.

For a fruit butter, only one extra step is needed, that of pureeing or blending it into a nice smooth sludge, once cooked in a bit of water until soft, after which you finish cooking with the sugar added.  Now for my next batch, when there are way too many for a single pot of jam or butter, I will be doing the oven baked method.  No stirring involved (or hardly any); no spitting pot of bubbling fruit hitting my arms, face, oven and floor.  The smooth sludge spits rather than simmering or boiling properly.  It's a super simple recipe, just the basics here. Unlike a fruit curd, it doesn't have eggs or butter in it.  Unlike a jam though, it doesn't keep well.

I read Deb's comments on her recent Smitten Kitchen post about peach butter, and how as with apple butters, the seasonings added often overpower the taste of the fruit itself.  So true.  But I want to tell you, this fruit butter tastes like essence of guava.  Perfect on your morning scone.  And since it bears a very close resemblance to applesauce, goes with anything you would serve that with.  Say latkes or pork for instance.  Perhaps I should call it guavasauce.  But, my granddaughter says Guava Butter sounds better.  Maybe so.



Guava Butter
Makes about 2 jars
2 lbs. guavas
1/2 cup water
1 1/2 cups granulated sugar

Peel any bad areas off the guavas, halve and scoop out seeds.  Cut into chunks, then place chunks and water in a large pot and bring to a boil. Simmer until guavas are tender, about 15 to 20 minutes, stirring occasionally to ensure they cook evenly. If you have a food mill, and want to run them through it to puree them and remove the seeds, go right ahead. If you don’t have a food mill — i.e. you already removed seeds — you can puree in a food processor, blender or with an immersion blender, until smooth.  I personally hate food mills, and always seem to have a regular old hassle with them, usually with the thing in pieces at the end.  By far the easier way is to just scoop out the seeds first.

Return fruit to the large pot, add the sugar and any seasonings (if you are using them), and bring the mixture to a good strong simmer (watch out for those spatters) 30 to 40 minutes, stirring occasionally in the beginning and more often towards the end, as it thickens up and the fruit is liable to scorch on the bottom of the pot.


It is done when a ribbon of preserve, poured across the top, holds its shape.  You can also test by putting a dollop of the butter on a cold dish in the freezer for a few minutes and see if you're happy with the thickness.  Next time, with the baking method, I'll let it go a bit longer to get more of an intense paste.  But, I took as much of the spitting and stirring  as I could.  It is just the right consistency for spreading across your toast or scone, with that lovely guava flavor shining through, nothing interfering.  
Store, refrigerated, in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 weeks.

Going over to Chaya at Let's Do Brunch

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I actually don't think I've ever really had a guava...and certainly not guava butter! It looks great...I so would love to give it a try!

April @ The 21st Century Housewife said...

I have only ever had guava a couple of times, but it really was delicious. I can just imagine how wonderful your guava butter tastes! Thank you for sharing it with Let's Do Brunch.

Swathi said...

Delicious my hubby's favorite fruit is guava, we love eat with little bit of salt and chili, this one sounds awesome. I will try when guava's in sale as they are expensive here.

Unknown said...

My comment is almost a decade later after you posted the recipe, howeve i'd like to know how long this homemade butter last , also i made it yesterday and i kept it in a big bowl in the fridge, it seems to be separating a bit of water, do you think i need to recook it. I'm trying to send this to my relatives and i dont want them getting sick.
Hopefully you reply
Thanks.

Claudia said...

Dear Unknown, the downside of fruit butters is the short keeping time. I will add to the post: Store, refrigerated, in a tightly sealed container for up to 2 weeks.

Ann said...

You are so right about all that bubbling and popping, haha…great recipe, turned out fabulous!