4/04/2020

Tapioca - Not Pudding, but Fritters and Pizza!


Going along with the concept of less shopping and more eating what we have, I've recently been posting on and using various staples from our tropical garden, a living, growing pantry.  Thus we showcase Tapioca here, AKA manioc, yucca, cassava, pia, (Hawaiian) or ubi kayu (Malay).  So many names for this very useful plant because it's in use all over the world.  Well, the warmer, zones at any rate. It's a pretty garden plant, and when you think it might be ready, dig it up and use the root.




A friend just posted a recipe idea on FB which  was one use for tapioca I hadn't yet tried, so very happy to do that. First cut up the roots into fairly big chunks, then remove peel and white (inner peel) detachable rind with a knife. Then I pressure cooked it all for 10 minutes with a stalk of pandan (tropical sort of bay leaf thing) for flavor.



The next step is to let it cool, then grate or mash, depending on how soft it got from cooking, removing the stem which runs down the middle.  Then mix with turmeric, cumin, Korean chili pepper flakes, salt, garlic and fresh culantro or parsley. Add a little water if needed and form patties  Make a small one first and test for seasonings. Fry in Coconut oil.




 Very tasty and fairly easy to put together.  Fairly.  I would say other uses of this root are actually easier, but of course, fritters are special :)  Other uses I've posted, for example: Ono with Pia with Roast Duck, and even a cake.

There was enough grated tapioca left to make a pizza crust, which I topped with some orange jalapeno, smoked mozzarella, salami and tomato.

I'll link this up with Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking event.  Be sure to visit and join in for good food and reading suggestions.

7 comments:

Laurie C said...

Tapioca/yucca isn't a pantry staple for me, and my husband just ventured out and bought a few weeks' worth of groceries for us yesterday, so I'll have to wait until after things get back to normal to try this recipe!

Mae Travels said...

Fascinating to learn about these plants which one normally only reads about. Pandan was grown throughout Polynesian and Melanesian cultures in the Pacific, but as far as I know has not really been adopted into Western cuisine. Thanks for this interesting post!

be well... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Vicki said...

This is a very interesting post. I learned some things!

Deb in Hawaii said...

Very cool post and you are right, fritters are special! ;-)

Debra Eliotseats said...

I love that you're posting these truly local ingredients.

Tina said...

Those are plants unknown to me , what an interesting post. Love pizza and yours looks great.

gluten Free A_Z Blog said...

I've never seen any of those plants, but I have eaten tapioca pudding. Very interesting post