2/03/2022

Expect the Unexpected from Filipinx


You might call this a cookbook for the bold and adventurous, Filipinx, Heritage Recipes from the Diaspora, by Angela Dimayuga and Ligaya Mishan.  What do I say?  The book beats definition!  Not strictly cuisine from the Philippines, but a second generation update and amalgamation.  I want to try too many of those recipes in the library time remaining, with no renewal possible, so in a fit of let's go for it, another purchase!  Just couldn't resist.

I won't be adding pork blood to the fridge or attempting to make my own fermented shrimp paste, but still... I do want to try the Spicy Banana Ketchup, the green papaya table pickle and many other of her interesting concoctions, particularly the many enticingly unique (if you're not Asian) desserts, drinks, and condiments.

From the Publishers:
"In her debut cookbook, acclaimed chef Angela Dimayuga shares her passion for Filipino food with home cooks.

Filipinx offers 100 deeply personal recipes—many of them dishes that define home for Angela Dimayuga and the more than four million people of Filipino descent in the United States. The book tells the story of how Dimayuga grew up in an immigrant family in northern California, trained in restaurant kitchens in New York City—learning to make everything from bistro fare to Asian-American cuisine—then returned to her roots, discovering in her family’s home cooking the same intense attention to detail and technique she’d found in fine dining."


My first go to was Bola Bola Beef Meatballs, and with the extra, a few days later, the Bola Bola Soup.  Next on my need to do list is the Coconut Milk Chicken Adobo.  I make Adobo occasionally, but this recipe sounds extra delicious.  Also the Bistek, Seared Rib Eye with Lemon and Onions.  Oh boy, looking forward to that.


She sprinkled garlic chips on top, but I used toasted peanuts.  Easy peasy. She suggests freezing the extra meatballs, then using them later for the soup. Which I did.


The meatballs and soup were yummy, disappearing quickly.  Next, I've totally got everything I need for the Banana Ketchup.  I'll be sharing all this over at Weekend Cooking with Marge, the Intrepid Reader and with Heather at her Foodies Read Challenge for February.






9 comments:

Mae Travels said...

Those recipes do sound very interesting, from a rather obscure cuisine.

best... mae at maefood.blogspot.com

Beth F said...

I love this cookbook! Don't miss the "food of the gods" chocolate date bars. I've made them twice already!!

Melynda@Scratch Made Food! said...

I will definitely have to check this out, we have an organic Philipino cafe in our little community and the food is out of this world for flavor! Thanks for writing about this one.

(Diane) bookchickdi said...

I love in NYC and have not yet tried any of the wonderful Filippino restauarants, I must rectify that oversight.

Marg said...

Spicy Banana Ketchup sounds like an interesting flavour combination.

A Day in the Life on the Farm said...

So many cookbooks and so little time LOL....I am a cookbook junkie too.

looloolooweez said...

I have been eyeing this cookbook but have felt a bit intimidated by it. You have inspired me to request it from the library anyway! Even if I don't end up cooking from it, it sounds like it's worth reading just for the experience.

heather said...

I can't quite imagine how banana ketchup tastes but I'd love to give it a try.

Claudia said...

Thanks Beth, I'll give those Chocolate Date Bars a try. Marge and Heather, I have to admit the Spicy Banana Ketchup gave me pause! But the two small bananas are in place of sugar, the rest of the ingredients more like a traditional Ketchup, with the addition of chilies. I'll get to it soon :)