9/30/2016

Meat Pies with Guacamole, Hooroo Curtis!



It's Hooroo Curtis week, we're saying goodbye, Aussie style to our currently reigning IHCC chef, Curtis Stone.  I don't always get a chance to participate, but have enjoyed the times I do.  For my farewell meal we had Meat Pies and Guacamole Curtis.

I lapped my pies over, empanada style however, and they paired nicely with his tasty guacamole, served on beds of crisp lettuce.  Here's the recipe from his web site, where you can find the meat pies.  Mine differs a bit, as I made individual pies, and used left-over lamb stew from the freezer, which needed clearing out mate.  The extras make super lunches for the next day(s).  More on meat pies here and here.


Guacamole

Ingredients 

(Serves 4)

    3 ripe avocados, pitted, peeled, cut into medium dice
    1 tomato, seeded, finely diced
    1/2 cup finely diced red onion
    2 tablespoons finely chopped fresh cilantro
    2 tablespoons fresh lime juice
    1/2 jalapeño chile, seeded and finely chopped
    1 garlic clove, minced
    1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
    Salt

    Directions 

    The guacamole can be made 2 hours ahead. Lay a sheet of plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole and refrigerate until ready to serve. 
    In a large bowl, gently fold the avocados, tomato, onion, cilantro, lime juice, jalapeño chile, garlic, and cumin. Season to taste with salt.  This makes a super salad, just put little nests of salad greens on each plate, then scoop on some guacamole.

    I'm sharing the goodies with Beth Fish Reads for her Weekend Cooking event, as well as at IHCC (I Heart Cooking Clubs).  Be sure to stop by and enjoy lots of good cooking!

    13 comments:

    Debra Eliotseats said...

    Look at all this Mexican food you've been posting, Claudia! The CTB post is up if you want some more! :) Thanks for reading The Secret Life Of Frida Kahlo and playing along! Happy Saturday!

    Vicki said...

    I love Guacamole! I'm going to pin your recipe!

    jama said...

    I'll have to try that guacamole recipe. And I love meat pies, but have never tried making any. Will check out the recipe at the website. Thanks!

    Peaceful Reader said...

    I love a good guacamole recipe. Thank you.

    Carole said...

    Am currently working on a classic steak pie. Have the filling cooling in the fridge and the pastry defrosting. Tomorrow is d day for baking. Have a great week. Cheers from Carole's Chatter

    Beth F said...

    Love your guac recipe! -- I often forget to add the cilantro, which we love. Now I have a craving for meat pies ... humm, I may have to do that for tonight.

    Tina said...

    Oh my, I would attack that guacamole! Curtis has been one of my favorites and I know I will still cook from his books. Nice meat pies, you could have so many variations in fillings.

    Zosia said...

    What a creative way to use leftover stew. The pies look great and the guacamole sounds like a delicious accompaniment.

    Linda said...

    I love guacamole. I'll have to try this recipe.

    flour.ish.en said...

    A wonderful way to serve up leftover lamb in a meat pie. Guacamole is a perfect side. The two together are mouth-watering eats at anytime of the day.

    kitchen flavours said...

    The pies looks great, a delicious way of using leftovers! I have not had guacamole in ages!

    Sue Jackson said...

    Oh, yum!! I love meat pies, empanadas, etc. but I have never tried to make them myself. And we are BIG Curtis Stone fans! In fact, my Weekend Cooking post was a review of a Curtis Stone cookbook - it's one of our favorites!

    This looks great - thanks for the links!

    Sue

    Book By Book

    Margaret said...

    Love making meat pies. The ultimate finger food. I will have to try these.